Udu drums

本文由 Jeff2002-12-21 發表於 "Drum 相關訊息" 討論區

1. Jeff

Jeff 吉他版主

註冊日期:
    2001-09-01
    文章:
    讚:
    以前逛過這網站,裡頭的 Udu drum 圖片讓人看了真想買回家∼∼ 就算不會玩,擺著都好看....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

剪貼一段介紹:

History of the UDU Drum

Frank Giorgini's UDU DRUM is a clay pot drum modeled afterthe Nigerian side hole pot drum. It is made entirely of clay, in the formof a narrow necked, vase-like vessel, with a circular hole in the side inaddition to the opening at the top. Playing technique for the traditional drum varies considerably from one region to another and one player to another,but basic technique incorporates drumming on the side hole while selectively opening and closing the top hole to modulate the air chamber resonance with the other hand. Thus, the drum is part idiophone and part aerophone, and, no part membranophone. It has no skin or membrane head. The sound is one of deep air resonance articulated by quick, bright percussion, at timeslight and bubbly and at times profound. Bent tones resulting from the playersmodulation of the apertures can be reminiscent of tablas or talking drums...... Experimental Musical Instruments Vol 5 Feb 1990 Frank Giorgini's handmade UDU DRUMS are considered the best of their type in the world and the choice of the world's leading percussionists.In the following statement Frank Giorgini describes hisfirst encounter with the Nigerian side hole pot drum and his own developmentsto the instrument to create the modern UDU DRUM.

In the summer of 1974, I had the opportunity to live andwork with a group of African artists at the Haystacks Mt. School of Artand Crafts in Deer Isle, Maine. As a result of this unique cultural exchange,I learned the little known art of making the all clay side hole pot drum.The origins of this instrument can be traced to central and southern Nigeria.It is the invention of some ancient village potter who struck a hole inthe side of a traditional clay water vessel and discovered the resonatingsound that could be produced. The man who first introduced me to the sidehole pot drum is Abbas M. Ahuwan, a Kaji potter, artist, and professor at Amadu Bello University Zaria, Nigeria. From the teachings of Abbas at Haystacks,I learned the traditional Nigerian pottery techniques that are employedto create the clay drum.The word Udu means both pottery and peace in the Ibo languageof Nigeria. I call my drums UDU DRUMS, but the side hole pot drum has many different names in Nigeria, depending on tribal areas and ceremonies inwhich it is used. "Abang mbre" or "pot for playing" is the name that was generally ascribed to it. Some believe the deep hauntingsound particular to the drum is the "voice of the ancestors "when used in religious ceremonies. I form each handmade UDU DRUM true to the traditional techniquesthat were handed down to me from Abbas M. Ahuwan. The drums are not thrownon a potters wheel. They are created by pounding natural clays with flatrocks, coiling up the form inch by inch, paddling and shaping the drum with hand made wooden paddles, and burnishing the surface to a beautiful lusterusing a smooth stone. The deep, rich dark color is a result of the flamesand smoke of the firing process. The process of forming, drying, and firingone drum may take up to one month. Over the years I have developed many design innovations, clay body formulas, and firing techniques that have improved the sound quality, durability, and versatility of this instrument.I make the drums in a set of four, corresponding to the traditional African family concept of drums. They range in size from 30cm(12") to 50cm(18") in height, the smallest having the highest pitch and the largestthe deepest pitch.

Frank Giorgini's UDU DRUMS are in the permanent collectionof the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.

=====================
    以上請見 http://www.udu.com/

另外,文中提到的 Experimental Musical Instruments 也請參考這裡

2. hua

hua New Member

註冊日期:
    2001-10-28
    文章:
    讚:
    挺漂亮的,根本是個藝術品。
    先前鶯歌陶瓷展有請印度北美跟非洲的製陶者來,印象中塞內加爾阿媽製的陶就是跟人家不一樣,底部不是平的,是圓的。人家的陶瓷可以正立著,她的卻要到掛,很好玩。
    說到北美原住民也很鮮,她們的陶藝品色彩紋路很美,紅黑色系的紋路,價格卻很不友善,問了隻美麗的小企鵝,大概高10公分要上千元,她突然喊出“trade by trade“,後來居然被朋友用一個台灣原住民圖樣的贈品手機套換到,真羨慕.....

話說回來,板主有marimbula,不會連這個也有吧....

3. kiko Bai

kiko Bai New Member

註冊日期:
    2002-11-20
    文章:
    讚:
    To Hua: 不好意思,在我的打擊樂收藏裡,正有Udu! 還有教Udu的錄影帶唷!

4. hua

hua New Member

註冊日期:
    2001-10-28
    文章:
    讚:
    喔!那改天真要找苹同學去貴府,看看電視,坐坐"椅子",
    還有看看百聞不如一見的小Dagoo......

ps1.那陶瓷展我們遇到青梅學姊,她在那工作。
    ps2.麻煩傑夫可否貼其他的圖,再來挖挖板主還有什麼樂器收藏。

5. 掌門人

掌門人 當代校長張超然

註冊日期:
    2001-08-30
    文章:
    讚:

[​IMG]

說到樂器收藏,當代大小本營兩部自然也是不少。上面這個 udu drum 是多年前的收藏,外型有點非洲手工藝的味道,但其實應是美國產品。這一個在照片上由上往下看,身體比較小,實際上卻有點胖,在 udus drums 裡算中等大小。

實用的 udu drums 在打擊樂器裡不算真的很貴,從小型到超大的價位約在美金 $50-275。由於其音量很小,又容易摔壞等,並不是很常見。udu drum 的聲音很可愛,有 pitch 的變化 (特別是右手),看你敲地多用力和手離開多快而定,有人將 udu drum 裡放小型 mic 來收音,方便現場表演,聲音放大後你會發現低音非常可怖。

udu drums 進北美之後,有人將它做了改良,或說變化型。有人多做一個孔,上面套皮,因此多一個位置可以敲不一樣的音色,整體也略亮一點。又或裝了皮肩帶,可以邊走邊敲。

我有製做一套 udu drum 的 giga sample,size 算不小。若頻寬夠用的話,找一日讓有興趣的人下載。

PS:
    1) 繼續用力聊 percussion 吧!
    2) 忘了說,如記憶無誤的話 (有可能記錯),傳統上這樂器應是女人的樂器- 或許是因為到河邊打水是女人的工作,而她們有什麼、用什麼,擊鼓高歌大抵是如此的。

=====================================

To:hua
    你有朋友做陶的話,可以請她(他)幫你做不少樂器。

分享此頁面